SOUTH (Range) ROAD VILLAGE
This part of town has seen many enterprises, industries and building over the years.
- TAVERNS & LODGING: 1767 Andrew and Mathew Pettingill Tavern, first tavern in town erected by Andrew Pettengill near the current Pettengnill House, corner of Old Coach road and rte 4. Used as a town meeting location. Torn down. 1795 Stephen Webster House (n/w corner of Crossroads junction of rte 4 and rte 127) converted to 2 story Inn & Tavern 1795 by Josiah Rogers. Salisbury Hotel became “Smiths temperance House”. Later called “Elm House” and destroyed by fire July 15, 1882. See photos below. Also see Kearsarge Cottage below under FIRE.
- Congregational Church build 1791 with some materials from original structure removed from Searle’s Hill, remolded 1835
- MANUFACTURING: John White’s Store & later Glove Factory (see photo below) approx 1806, behind corner colonial at junction of Rte 127 and on Rte. 4. 1858 Shoe Store. Burned 1947. Site of Kearsarge telephone Building. T.D. Little Bull Rake Factory behind Pettengill House near the corner of Old Coach Road and which he owned from 1816-1899. Site of steam run Grist mill. Cement Block Workshop prior to the 1940’s on Little property behind Pettengill House>Well sourced Steam Shingle Mill run by Peter Bill, same area > Hat Factory same area. Everett Renfew’s Cider Mill on Old Coach Road.
- FIRE May 18, 1894 Four major Historic structures destroyed. Located at the current southside junction rte 4 and rte 127, West to East:
- #1) The Parsonage locating: under current rte 4. Destroyed n full.
- #2) Grand Army Hall, Fire started roof, next. Two story. First store in the village and perhaps town: First floor with small stock. Second story; Dancehall. Destroyed in full.
- #3) Greenough Store, see below next. Destroyed in full.
- #4) Kearsarge Cottage Lodging was the largest dwelling house at the time and run by Mrs. Chapman as a summer boarding home. Owned by Amos Chapman. Destroyed in full.
- THE GRANGE: Academy Hall Building
- SCHOOLS: 3 Schoolhouse see Old Schoolhouses
- POST OFFICE: South Road Post Office, possibly in at least 3 separate locations over time.
- STORES: Greenough Store destroyed by fire 1894, Southside of rte 127 near Crossroads. Greenleaf Store 1794 built northside of ret 127 near Crossroads, nestled in between corner colonial and Congregational Church at the junction of rte 127 & rte 4. See photo below. store and transfer place for goods on the N/S journey> Hills Store 1906> Margaret Adams Gerry’s Red Tea House 1934-1940> removed 1969 by owner Ward Knight. Peter Bill’s Ice Cream Stand sometime between ca 1930-1948. Rene Beaudoin Store from his home for twenty years prior to the mid 1960’s. He sold groceries, some fruit, drug store and medicine over the counter. In the mid 1960’s Rte 4 was extended straight through the farmland of Rene Beaudioin making Rte 4 a straight road through the Crossroads. Rene operated a grocery on the westside of rte 4 just south of the Crossroads. It can be seen in the aerial photo below.
- TELEPHONE COMPANY: operations
- FILLING STATIONS: See photos below.
- CEMETERY: South Road Village
- BLACKSMITH SHOP: Sherm Fellow’s Backsmith Shop corner of Bog road, east of crossroads on South range Road (rte 127)
Prior to 1965 the Fourth New Hampshire Turnpike (Route 4), a major north/south roadway from earliest times, came up through Salisbury in the same way Old Coach Road currently does. It took an eased turn westerly at Academy Hall joining the South Range Road (Route 127). At the intersection, shown in the image below, the South Range Road continued westerly towards Webster and Warner as it currently does. The Fourth NH Turnpike turned right towards points north (Andover and onward to Hanover and Dartmouth College). It was referred to as “The Crank” because it had 2 angular turns to it.
According to John Dearborn, Chapter XXX, History of Salisbury NH:
” Formerly this village was a great center for trade, and its hotels were resorts for travelers, teamsters and the farmers from the north , who brought their products to market. With the opening of the railroads, the business rapidly decreased and the South Road Village, like that at the Centre, gave indications of decline.”
Efforts are underway to gather more photographs of the various enterprises and home images that existed in the old “South Road Village”. If you can provide any images or data please contact the webmaster: email@example.com
Today the crossroads area of Route 4 and Route 127 remains a well traveled junction with three thriving small businesses and lovely homes.
PRIOR TO 1882
In the image below, the large building at the intersection was a tavern operated by Lt. Benjamin Pettingill, Lyman Hawley and others. It was then transformed into a Temperance House and was well known as such. A fire destroyed it on July 15, 1882 at which time it had been known as Elm House. The building that now occupies that north west corner was moved from Mutton Road. Note the curve of the road to head north, clipping a large part of the existing homes lot on the corner. It appears the hitching posts are still in place today. There was a grassy triangle with a large flagpole. The road went southwesterly (Mutton Rd.), westerly to Webster and Warner, northernly to Andover and easterly to Franklin. It did not go south to Boscawen as there were structures there pre fire and no road. Rte 4 was created in the late 1960’s. The road went south was Old Stagecoach.
Around 1780 Samuel Greenleaf built this store (no longer in existence) at the Crossroads, north east corner on what is now rte 4 near the telephone building. It was at one time also called the John White Store. It became a glove factory and also a store run by John Huntoon. It was a shoe store in 1858. The store burned ca 1947. Shortly after constructing the store Mr. Greenleaf constructed the house which currently sits on the corner. It is shown in this photo with a federal roof which was replaced after 1937. This junction referred to as “The Crank” made the gentle northerly turn towards Andover at the granite posts in front of the house (still in existence). From the two photos above one can see a triangular green with a flagpole in the junction of the South Range Road (rte 127, Mutton Road and Old Turnpike). It was a widely used road however from these photos it looks rather narrow.
AFTER 1895 looking easterly down what is now Rte 127.
North side of what is now rte 127:
Greenleaf Store/Hills Store/Red Tea House
Excerpt from The History of Salisbury NH, by John J Dearborn 1890, p 347:
Four images of the store from Salisbury Lost by Paul S. Shaw, M.D. 1995
South Road Graveyard
The Salisbury P.O. Graveyard or South Road Graveyard is located just off the crossroads going East, on north side of the road, behind a home near the Congregational Church.
The Salisbury Congregational Church
Currently the Salisbury Congregational Church is located in the South Road Village area (Crossroads) but this was not always so. Please download the following compiled by David Rapalyea: Salisbury’s First Meeting House
Return to Historic Town Settlements Index