Salisbury Heights has seen many changes over the decades though as one passes through they might think it is preserved as it was by the lovely colonials and Historic building that grace that area.
The village included:
- TAVERN: Ca 1775-early 1800’s, at the Abel Elkins House across from Old Baptist Meeting House (Kepper House), home existing.
- WHEELWRIGHT/Blacksmith Shop in the workshop building on the same land, existing shed structure.
- POST OFFICE and Drew’s Store. Previously J.P. Webster’s Store owned 1801-1858. Located (wedged) between Abel Elkins House and Thomas and Eliphalet WIlliam House. Destroyed by fire.
- STORE: Thomas an Eliphalet Williams House built 1792 ( Corner of Oak Hill Road and Rte 4). “Originally housed a store and a meeting hall upstairs. The store portion probably included all of the west side of the house and the Hall was immediately above the store. Masonic Meetings were held there in the early 1800’s” -John Dearborn History of Salisbury NH 1890. Nan Dexheimers’s gift and craft shop in the 1970’s was located an adjacent building. Remaining as a residence.
- SCHOOL house, West Salisbury Road, removed.
- SCHOOL house which is now the Salisbury Free Library, existing.
- MEETING HOUSE: Baptist Meeting House, completed 1794, which now houses the Salisbury Historical Society Offices, existing.
- CEMETERIES: Baptist Graveyard behind the Baptist Meeting House, existing. Oak Hill (Road) Cemetery laid out in 1868, uphill from Salisbury Heights.
- HEARSE HOUSE, built 1850 and town Roller shed, combined, which now houses the Salisbury Historical Society’s Museum since 1990, existing.
- TOWN HALL: Salisbury Town Hall ca 1839-1840
- BLACKSMITH George Calef Blacksmith, Carriage and Clock repair shop rte 4, torn down ca 1925
- FILLING STATION: Heath’s Filling Station at Deacon William Cate house (built 1795), Antique Shop, next to Kepper House. House remains.
- MILL: Hensmith road
Photos 1-3 Courtesy of John Drew Trachy from his family’s photo collection
Additional photos: Salisbury Heights Center Village Schools