Originally Salisbury extended from the east settlement on the Pemigewasset/Merrimack River westerly to the lower rise on Mt. Kearsarge Mountain. In 1828 the Town of Franklin was created (City of Franklin 1895) and this pushed the boundary line back westwards away from the Pemi River towards the North Road Daniel Webster Birthplace area. Prior to 1754 there were 8 families residing in old Salisbury- John J. Dearborn, History of Salisbury NH 1890)
The South Range Road (East-West) for part of its journey coincides with Rte 127. It commences south of Franklin Village, near the Webster Farm. It moved westerly towards what is Ret 127 near the Salisbury Franklin line, follows 127 through the Crossroads and departs from 127 at junction of Hensmith Rd. where it continues towards Warner on the Flood Plain Road. it goes through the old settlement of Smiths Corner and near Tucker Pond departs from 127 which heads south westerly onto Pumpkin Hill Road to Warner, going instead uphill to the Watson district on Kearsarge (Quimby Road). This was a well traveled route and was perhaps the Old Indian/Rogers Rangers Trail to the Charleston Fort on the Connecticut River.
The Center range Road (East-West) commenced near the Webster Place Cemetery. It extended westerly (possibly Punch Brook Road?), near Shaw’s Corner, over Searles Hill, to Center Road and 4th NH Turnpike, over Loverin Hill, across the Blackwater River, Scribner Road, Buckhorn Road, connecting to Perrystown (Sutton). It was traveled by people bringing grain to the Webster Mill on Punch Brook.There is some question that perhaps Center Range Road (Buckhorn) may have been the Old Indian Trail.
The North Range Road (East-West) was surveyed in 1763 however only a few sections were built.
The following is a work in progress. Any information and photographs welcome.
Please contact email@example.com
Below is an Index of areas in Salisbury from the earliest clusters of settlers to some that remain today. They are listed by approximate age of settlement.
- 1748 Bakerstown Settlement or Franklin Lower Village or Webster area. Settled by Phillip Call (1748) and Jacob Morrill and Eliphalet Gale. Cemetery (oldest town cemetery) , Fort, log Meeting House in use likely, 1765 plans to build Meeting House came into being. Near South Range Road. Now part of Franklin. Earliest structures are not in existence.
- 1748 Smith’s Corner Settlement by the Nathaniel Maloon arrived from Contoocock. Settled in what is now the flood Plain. Constructed Mill on Mill Brook. Near South Range Road. 1754 Tucker pond settlement begins. 1766 Sinkler Bean settles in just north of corners. Union Meeting House removed late 1930’s to the Eastern States exposition Fair grounds in Springfield Mass. Bean/Smiths Corner Cemetery moved to Maplewood Cemetery area 1940’s. Schoolhouse, Post Office and farm and residential structures removed 1940’s. On South Range road. Village no longer in existence.
- 1759 Shaw’s Corner Near mid Range Road. Cemetery, Daniel webster Birthplace. Now part of Franklin.
- 1764 Searle’s Hill Near mid Range Road. Meetinghouse approx 1764, Parsonage, Cemetery, First School on Searle’s Hill, residences. No longer in existence, ruins present.
- 1770 South Road Village or “The Crank” or Crossroads Area as it now called (Rte 4 & 127) begins to spring up. Largest commercial center in town including taverns, rooming house/inns, blacksmith shop, hat factory, rake factory, potash companies, stores, Tea House, parsonage, school, Congregational Meeting House, Post Offices, Grange, Grand Army Hall, gas station, telephone Company, Town building.
- Mid/ Late 1700’s Salisbury Heights Village, stores, mill, wheel wright/blacksmith shop, Post Office, Masonic gathering room, cemetery, Center Village Schools, Baptist Meeting House, Town Hall, gas station, Salisbury Free Library. Fourth NH Turnpike area.
- Late 1700’s Watson District, on the southern spur of Mt Kearsarge. Family cluster with Quimby’s. Possibly Free Will Baptists. School, built 1812, is no longer in existence. Cemetery destroyed by vandals. On South Range Roads westerly end.
- Late 1700’s West Salisbury vibrant village area, stores, mills, Post Office, cemetery, school.
- Shaw Hill/North Road Farming district